I have never made homemade cinnamon rolls until now, but these are super simple & will make you look like a pro.. oh, and they are vegan and can easily be gluten free as well! Even if you are not living the vegan/gf life, you will enjoy them! My animal-eating husband approves!
Even though it is still 90 degrees & I am sweating my tata's off, in my kitchen it's FALL! So crank down your air conditioners (if needed), light your fave fall candle, and bake these yummy treats with me!
1 packet instant yeast
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
6 1/2 Tbsp vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup Sugar
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
3 cups Flour (sub gf flour to make recipe gluten free)
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup Apple Butter (pumpkin butter would work as well)
Optional: 3/4 cup chopped pecans
1 Tbs Vegan Butter
2 Cups powdered sugar
3 tsp non-dairy milk
1 Tbs Apple butter
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1. In mixing bowl, heat almond milk and 2 Tbsp vegan butter in 30 second increments until warm and melted. Remove from microwave (or stovetop) and let cool.
2. Once cooled, add yeast and let activate for 10 minutes, then add 1 Tbsp sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice and stir. Let it set for a a few minutes, then whisk in pumpkin puree.
3. Next add in flour (1/2 cup at a time) while mixing. Once the dough is too thick to stir/mix, transfer to a floured surface and knead for a minute until it forms a loose ball, adding flour as needed.
4. Rinse your mixing bowl & coat it with oil of choice and add your dough back in and roll it around to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 45 minutes - 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
5. Once the dough has risen, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle (on a floured surface). Brush with 2.5 Tbsp melted vegan butter and 1/2 cup apple butter. Then top with 1/3 cup sugar, 1 Tbsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, and 3/4 of the pecans (optional).
6. AND nowwww the hard part (atleast for me hah). Starting at one end, tightly roll up the dough and make sure seam side is down. Then with a serrated knife, cut the dough into 2 inch sections and place in a well-buttered 8x8 square pan (you should have about 10 rolls).
7. Brush rolls with remaining 2 Tbsp melted vegan butter mixed with 1 Tbsp apple butter, sprinkle with 1 Tbsp sugar and remaining pecans. Cover rolls while the oven is heating to 350 degrees.
9. Bake the rolls for 30-40 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
10. While the yummy rolls are baking, make the glaze. Melt 1 Tbsp vegan butter and whisk in 2 cups powdered sugar. Mix and gradually thin with dairy-free milk 1 tsp at a time until pourable but still thick. Add 1 Tbsp apple butter and/or 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice for more pumpkin flavor.
11. Once rolls have cooled atleast 10 minutes, pour glaze on top, and ENJOY!
*Recipe was adpated from Minimalist Baker pumpkin rolls*